Brad Fittler tasked with putting an end to Queensland domination.Posted on 28/11 by Joe Gann
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listBrad Fittler has landed his dream role after being installed as the new head coach of the NSW Blues.
His appointment brings an end to the search for a replacement for Laurie Daley who was relieved of his duties following four series losses in five years. He becomes the fifth man since 2006 to take up the challenge of dethroning the Maroons who have won eleven of the last twelve series.
The ex-Roosters coach was the outstanding candidate, and board members unanimously approved his appointment after successfully fending off the challenge of former South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Michael McGuire, who was deemed to be more interested in coaching within the NRL.
His success with the Lebanon national side -the Cedars reached the Quarter Finals for the first time in their history in this year’s World Cup - helped to reinforce his credentials for a head coach position.
He will start his preparations for the opening game of 2018 State of Origin on June 6 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground immediately and has hinted that he will continue the work of Daley in blooding the next generation of young talent from the state.
His predecessor gave debuts to ten players during the last two years, and Fittler has name-dropped several players who are currently under consideration, including Canberra’s Nick Cotric; the NRL Rookie of the Year has played just 24 first grade games and at 19 would be a sensational inclusion.
A permanent member of the Channel Nine commentary team, Fittler will continue in the job, albeit with a reduced workload. He intends to appoint colleagues Andrew Johns and Phil Gould as assistants and hopes to recreate the same feel-good factor he enjoyed as a player under Gould - the most successful coach in Blues’ history.
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
BET NOW »$100 first bet racing refund *terms apply
- 4+ Multi Cash Back
- Protest Payout
- Horse Racing 10% Bet Boost
- First Multi Insurance up to $50
- *All offers subject to T&Cs - see Unibet for details*
Latest Rugby news
- West Tigers favourites to inherit the wooden spoon
- Sydney Roosters joint favourites with Melbourne Storm for 2018 NRL Premiership
- Holmes' future up in the air
- What next for the Hayne plane?
- No new Dragons role for Widdop
- Brad Fittler tasked with putting an end to Queensland domination.
- Newcastle Knights set for a top-eight push in 2018. What are the odds?
- 2018 NRL odds, tips, ladder predictions, team previews and Premiership best bets
All news archives (all sports)