England duo set to bolster St George’s top eight credentialsPosted on 31/12 by Joe Gann
James Graham teams up with fellow countryman Gareth Widdop as the Dragons look to move on from the failure of the 2017 campaign.
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listThe signing of James Graham from the Bulldogs will see the former St Helens man team up with fellow countryman Gareth Widdop, as the Dragons attempt to bounce back from the disappointment of missing out on finals football last time around.
The Dragons were top of the ladder after seven rounds before an injury to Widdop severely dented their campaign; one which limped to a miserable conclusion of the final weekend as they were beaten by Graham’s former club - a costly defeat which ultimately ended their top-eight hopes.
The addition of Graham will bring much needed ferocity to a Dragons pack that faded in the latter stages of the campaign as opponents managed to devise plans to counteract their powerful up-the-middle running. The loss of Russell Parker to the Tigers and backrower Joel Thompson will be keenly felt - making the recruitment of Graham all the more important.
The leadership qualities that he brings has also been cited as one of the primary attributes that the Red V are keen to utilise, with the big prop viewed as an inspirational figure, particularly to the younger squad members.
With Graham having been nudged out of the door at Belmore to accommodate Aaron Woods, his front-row combination alongside Cameron McInnes and Paul Vaughan may develop into one of the most formidable in the competition.
But it is the scrum-base partnership of big money recruit Ben Hunt and skipper Widdop that has really got the Dragons' faithful excited ahead of the new season.
With such impressive signings in place, it would be unthinkable for Paul McGregor’s side to fall by the wayside in the same manner again in 2018.
The Dragons are priced at $8.00 to reach the 2018 Grand Final
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
BET NOW »$100 first bet racing refund *terms apply
- 4+ Multi Cash Back
- Protest Payout
- Horse Racing 10% Bet Boost
- First Multi Insurance up to $50
- *All offers subject to T&Cs - see Unibet for details*
Latest Rugby news
- New look Newcastle Knights $1.90 to start with a win
- Brisbane Broncos surprise outsiders on the opening day
- St George Dragons $1.80 to start the season with a bang against the Broncos
- Jarrod Croker backed to repeat historic point scoring tally
- Warriors keen to end finals drought
- The return of Johnathan Thurston boosts confidence in North Queensland Cowboys’ title chances
- Cameron Smith backed for 2018 Dally M as he leads Melbourne Storm’s next generation
- Fresh beginning for the Gold Coast Titans as they eye a more stable 2018
All news archives (all sports)
- - January