Brisbane Broncos surprise outsiders on the opening dayPosted on 16/01 by Joe Gann
The Broncos start as surprising $2.00 underdogs against the Dragons.
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listDespite starting the year as the bookiesí fourth favourites to claim the Premiership crown, the Brisbane Broncos head into the new campaign as slight underdogs against the Dragons.
Perhaps the uncertainty stemming from the loss of key figures Adam Blair, Ben Hunt, Benji Marshall, Tautau Moga, Jai Arrow and Herman Eseíese has prompted a quelled expectation, but the Broncos have plenty of reasons to be quietly confident ahead of the big kick-off.
The return of Andrew McCullough will be pivotal to Wayne Bennettís side; the hookerís untimely absence at the tail-end of the campaign damaged the team as Ben Hunt stepped into the unfamiliar role of rake.
Huntís kicking game will be missed by the Broncos, and someone will need to step up to cover his loss. However, the partnership of Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima will be given an opportunity to continue to blossom; the pair looked unstoppable at times last year.
Jack Birdís arrival will be a boost to the roster, with the former Cronulla man likely to be deployed at centre, although Bennett may be forced to his utilise his versatility as the season progresses.
It is the forward pack though where the Broncos have sustained the most upheaval with Blair, Eseíese and Arrow moving on. A spot next to Korbyn Sims in the front row is up for grabs, with Matt Lodge, Sam Tagataese, Payne Haas and Sam Thaiday all vying for the jersey.
With Darius Boyd and Corey Oates returning fresh from an off-season free of international duties, the Broncos can rely on one of the most consistent backlines in the competition, and reason to be upbeat ahead of the clash with the Dragons.
The Broncos are $2.00 to beat the Dragons in Round 1.
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
Latest Rugby news
- New South Wales early favourites to claim the 2018 State of Origin title
- Melbourne Storm red-hot favourites to claim World Club title
- Canterbury Bulldogs the $7.00 mystery package for 2018?
- 2018 NRL odds, tips, ladder predictions, team previews and Premiership best bets
- Who will WIN the NRL Wooden Spoon?
- Cronulla Sharks $2.60 to avenge play-off loss to the Cowboys
- Confident Cowboys $1.50 to open with a win
- South Sydney Rabbitohs hoping to welcome back Greg Inglis in time for seasonís opener
All news archives (all sports)