Confident Cowboys $1.50 to open with a winPosted on 30/01 by Joe Gann
The Cowboys hope to welcome back co-captains Johnathan Thurston and Matt Scott in time for the Round 1 showdown with the 2016 Premiers.
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listThe Cowboys have a key advantage over most of their rivals in the competition Ė the benefit of a settled squad. With many of the 2015 winning roster still at the club, Paul Green presides over a team that possesses a genuine belief that it can win back the Premiership trophy they last held aloft in 2015.
With Johnathan Thurston stepping up his recovery from the shoulder injury that kept him on the sidelines for the majority of 2017, together with the return of co-captain Matt Scott, the Cowboysí should be back to full strength in time for the big kick-off.
The reunion of Thurston and Michael Morgan in the halves will be vital as the North Queenslanders attempt to atone for the heartache of last seasonís Grand Final disappointment at the hands of the Melbourne Storm. Morgan flourished in the absence of the club skipper, and it will be interesting to see how the dynamic works after the reintroduction of the more dominant Thurston.
Understudies Te Maire Martin and John Asiata proved to be excellent alternatives last season and afford Green a certain sense of security; the knowledge that if injury problems resurface, he has quality back up options in reserve.
With Jordan McClean arriving from Storm to belatedly fill the hole left by James Tamouís departure to the Panthers last year, the Cowboys have also reinforced in the critical front-row position. With Scott Bolton and Jason Taumalolo continuing to excel in upfront, the Cowboys will be a fearsome proposition for opponents again this year.
The Cowboys are to kick off with a win against the Cronulla Sharks
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
Latest Rugby news
- New South Wales early favourites to claim the 2018 State of Origin title
- Melbourne Storm red-hot favourites to claim World Club title
- Canterbury Bulldogs the $7.00 mystery package for 2018?
- 2018 NRL odds, tips, ladder predictions, team previews and Premiership best bets
- Who will WIN the NRL Wooden Spoon?
- Cronulla Sharks $2.60 to avenge play-off loss to the Cowboys
- Confident Cowboys $1.50 to open with a win
- South Sydney Rabbitohs hoping to welcome back Greg Inglis in time for seasonís opener
All news archives (all sports)