Broncos pencil in historic date in a bid to boost NRL chances.Posted on 20/12 by Joe Gann
The Broncos are heading over to Papua New Guinea as they step up their preparation for the upcoming campaign.
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listThe Brisbane Broncos aim to capitalise on the recent surge in rugby league interest that is sweeping the nation of Papua New Guinea, by announcing that they will play their final pre-season game in Port Moresby against the reigning Queensland Cup Champions the PNG Hunters.
The historic game, set to take place at the PNG National Football Stadium on February 24, will provide another chance for the sport to tap into a local fanbase whose passion for the game was one of the highlights of the recent World Cup. The partisan crowds in Port Moresby helped to contribute to the success of the tournament with the fervent support providing some of the most memorable images of the 2017 competition.
Wayne Bennett will be taking a full-strength squad across for the game, and the Broncos will be treating the match with the utmost respect as they look to arrive at the season’s opener against the Dragons on March 8th in peak condition.
The trip over to Papua New Guinea will also be part of a charm offensive by the NRL, who are considering the possibility of the country providing a franchise to compete in the competition, with a bid lodged for 2023 onwards. Brisbane have planned to spend four days in the country and will engage in community events aimed at consolidating the interest of a population where rugby league is the national sport – the only nation in the world where this is the case.
As the Broncos aim to improve upon their 2017 season in which they fell at the preliminary finals stage, their goal is to put an end to their 11-year premiership drought. They will need to avoid the same sluggish start as last year, when they sat ninth after five rounds with just two victories to their name. A strong opening to their campaign will be a priority for Bennett, with the date with the Dragons first up.
The Broncos are $1.89 to start the year with a win at the Jubilee Oval in the season’s curtain opener.
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
BET NOW »$100 first bet racing refund *terms apply
- 4+ Multi Cash Back
- Protest Payout
- Horse Racing 10% Bet Boost
- First Multi Insurance up to $50
- *All offers subject to T&Cs - see Unibet for details*
Latest Rugby news
- New look Newcastle Knights $1.90 to start with a win
- Brisbane Broncos surprise outsiders on the opening day
- St George Dragons $1.80 to start the season with a bang against the Broncos
- Jarrod Croker backed to repeat historic point scoring tally
- Warriors keen to end finals drought
- The return of Johnathan Thurston boosts confidence in North Queensland Cowboys’ title chances
- Cameron Smith backed for 2018 Dally M as he leads Melbourne Storm’s next generation
- Fresh beginning for the Gold Coast Titans as they eye a more stable 2018
All news archives (all sports)
- - January