The return of Johnathan Thurston boosts confidence in North Queensland Cowboys’ title chancesPosted on 06/01 by Joe Gann
The Cowboys find themselves second favourites for the 2018 Premiership, with the promise of the reappearance of Johnathan Thurston no doubt a major factor.
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listJonathan Thurston's recent return to full training following his long-term absence has given the North Queensland Cowboys’ Premiership hopes a massive shot in the arm.
The influential captain is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation from shoulder surgery and returned to pre-season training earlier than anticipated as he strives to make up for lost time from the game.
Despite his considerable loss, the team fared better than they could have hoped without their talismanic skipper and embarked upon a remarkable finals period following their dramatic last day qualification.
That magnificent surge to the grand final in October gained momentum as a number of the side’s big-name players came to the fore to counteract the effect of Thurston’s absence with the spirit and togetherness of the squad capturing the imagination of the majority of neutrals. Nevertheless, Thurston’s return to the fold, alongside co-Captain Matt Scott has provided belief that the club can go one better in 2018.
The betting market appears to reflect this projection, with the Cowboys joining the victors from last year's final the Melbourne Storm as $6.00 second-favourites.
The enforced lay-off may be a blessing in disguise; the chances are that he will emerge refreshed as he prepares for his final campaign as a player, having sacrificed his representative career to concentrate solely on the Cowboys for one last term.
His importance to the side is reflected in his betting price for next season’s Dally M, having been installed as third favourite at $13.00
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
BET NOW »$100 first bet racing refund *terms apply
- 4+ Multi Cash Back
- Protest Payout
- Horse Racing 10% Bet Boost
- First Multi Insurance up to $50
- *All offers subject to T&Cs - see Unibet for details*
Latest Rugby news
- New look Newcastle Knights $1.90 to start with a win
- Brisbane Broncos surprise outsiders on the opening day
- St George Dragons $1.80 to start the season with a bang against the Broncos
- Jarrod Croker backed to repeat historic point scoring tally
- Warriors keen to end finals drought
- The return of Johnathan Thurston boosts confidence in North Queensland Cowboys’ title chances
- Cameron Smith backed for 2018 Dally M as he leads Melbourne Storm’s next generation
- Fresh beginning for the Gold Coast Titans as they eye a more stable 2018
All news archives (all sports)
- - January