Warriors keen to end finals droughtPosted on 08/01 by Joe Gann
The Warriors are $4.00 to break a six-year finals drought
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing list2017 was another forlorn year at Mt Smart as the warriors contrived to make a mess of a season that had, as ever, promised so much at the outset.
Some of the substandard performances bordered on amateurish and considering the wealth of talent residing in the roster, the thirteenth place finish was bitterly disappointing for all concerned.
As we approach the new campaign, the optimism is there yet again but tempered by the failings of the previous six terms that have failed to yield finals football.
Again, the quality remains in abundance, with signings Tohu Harris, Adam Blair, Blake Green, Peta Hiku and Gerard Beale brought in to reinvigorate a squad that already possessed quality in abundance.
This recent recruitment drive now sees the Warriors boasting the lion’s share of the New Zealand test team and the acquisitions have been made to strengthen the debilitating weaknesses in the squad. The addition of Green is a fine signing, with the intention being that the former Manly pivot can free Shaun Johnson to express himself fully and dominate proceedings on a more regular basis.
Despite the capture of Blair, the Warriors still appear to be short in the forward department and will need to finally address the problem of how they can get the balance of talent and game management right.
Defensive lapses were a significant flaw for the Warriors, and no matter how irresistible the attack could be at times, the soft underbelly of their defensive unit made a concerted attempt on breaking into the top-eight a fruitless pursuit. They will be hoping that 2018 is the year they break the cycle of underachievement and qualify for the knock-out stages for the first time since 2011.
The New Zealand Warriors are $4.00 to finish in the top eight and $10.00 to break into the top four.
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
BET NOW »$100 first bet racing refund *terms apply
- 4+ Multi Cash Back
- Protest Payout
- Horse Racing 10% Bet Boost
- First Multi Insurance up to $50
- *All offers subject to T&Cs - see Unibet for details*
Latest Rugby news
- New look Newcastle Knights $1.90 to start with a win
- Brisbane Broncos surprise outsiders on the opening day
- St George Dragons $1.80 to start the season with a bang against the Broncos
- Jarrod Croker backed to repeat historic point scoring tally
- Warriors keen to end finals drought
- The return of Johnathan Thurston boosts confidence in North Queensland Cowboys’ title chances
- Cameron Smith backed for 2018 Dally M as he leads Melbourne Storm’s next generation
- Fresh beginning for the Gold Coast Titans as they eye a more stable 2018
All news archives (all sports)
- - January