2009 Melbourne Cup BettingPosted on 05/08 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listNearly 4 months to go until the race that stops Australia, the Melbourne Cup. But early bird punters are already placing their online bets with Betfair, where Profound Beauty is the current Melbourne Cup favourite at 14.5 (13.5/1). The 2007 Cup victor, Efficient, is currently trading at 45/1, just behind rebel Raider (23/1) and Cest La Guerre (31/1).
As ever, the home team will face a stern test from overseas raiders, predictably, headed by a Luca Cumani charge. Cumani will saddle last year's runner up, Bauer, who may join the other UK raiders (Mad Rush, Buccellati and Judgethemoment) in this year's Novemember renewal at Flemington racetrack.
With a fair way to go until post time, fixed odds online bookmakers are understandably wary of pricing up the ante-post market. Watch this space for the best odds when they are released!
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)