Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh winPosted on 13/09 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listWillie Mullins has found himself another live contender for the Melbourne Cup Wicklow Brave.
Wicklow Brave odds were slashed to $17.00 favourite after a scintillating front running ride from Frankie Dettori seen him make all and beat odds on favourite Order of St George by 1/2 a length in the Irish St Leger
The first two home finished 16 lengths ahead of the Melbourne and Caulfield place-getter Trip to Paris.
Trainer Mullins said after the race "Frankie was very brave,"
"Ruby Walsh had ridden his last piece of work and said there might not be anything making the running, so why not make it. I said I had the same thoughts and I'd discuss it with Frankie. It just worked out fantastic.
"He's a horse we'd been holding up all our lives. Every time we held him up and it looked like he'd win a race, he wouldn't produce what we asked him to produce."
Owner Nick Peacock added "This is brilliant, the horse is such an amazing animal,"
"We're off to Melbourne. Let's hope he can do at least as well as Simenon three years ago. I'm very lucky to have had one go at the Melbourne Cup, to have two is amazing. I owe it all to Willie."
Mullins continued: "He'll be in Newmarket (for quarantine) by Tuesday I think, and then Melbourne. I have nothing else for the race.
"He goes on the ground, he's a hardy beast at this stage of his career, he'll take whatever Melbourne throws at him and he's used to travelling as well, which is a huge help when coming from Europe.
"Nick just said do whatever we can to get him to Melbourne. It's a hell of a race, a hell of an atmosphere; we'd look forward to having a runner in it every year if we could."
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
BET NOW »$100 first bet racing refund *terms apply
- 4+ Multi Cash Back
- Protest Payout
- Horse Racing 10% Bet Boost
- First Multi Insurance up to $50
- *All offers subject to T&Cs - see Unibet for details*
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)
- - January