Betting tightens at the top for Aurie's Star StakesPosted on 03/08 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listA sprinter is hovering behind the favourites for the Aurie's Star Handicap at Flemington on Saturday and could spring his second win in the event.
Betting odds are getting tight at the top for the listed 1200m feature and Grand Duels is looking good following a jumpout victory in the week.
AAP reports Craig Newitt will pilot the horse on Saturday, with the six-year-old finishing third in a heat of the 1000m All Victorian Sprint series at Flemington on June 27.
Quoted by AAP, trainer Byron Cozamanis said: "He might have been a little bit underdone first-up but the main aim has been this race.
"Craig Newitt rode him in a jumpout last Tuesday and he was happy with him so we are hoping he can run well again.
"He loves the straight at Flemington and is a really honest horse."
Over the last two seasons Grand Duels has six wins to his name and $445,000 in stakes.
In last season's Aurie's Star he edged out Stavka, backed from $3.20 to $2.80 favourite at the time, to win by a nose.
Odds on Thursday see Grand Duels at $4.20 with Gran Sasso as the early $2.25 favourite and Mic Mac second favourite on $3.00.
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)