Black Piranha ready to bite in midweek horse racing meetingPosted on 12/09 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listStradbroke Handicap winner Black Piranha is to resume in the Cameron Handicap at Newcastle but will face a double challenge from two Gai Waterhouse runners.
He is on the top weight of 60kg in Wednesday's 1300m event, and will come up against the Waterhouse pair Royal Discretion and Rockwood.
Waterhouse has seen two of her charges win the same event before – with successive victories in 2001 and 2002 with Kingsgate and Excellerator.
Black Piranha is also in the running for the Cox Plate, standing on 15.00 among a clutch of horses already on odds below 20.00 with Centrebet.
In the autumn he chalked up placings in two group 1 races and then a major result in the Stradbroke.
Also running on Wednesday is Absolutelyfabulous, trained by Kris Lees and piloted by the popular Robert Thompson - the country's most successful jockey.
Lees, quoted by Racing and Sports, said of the horse: "She hasn't missed a beat and has tightened up nicely since her first-up run.
"I doubt she'll get a better chance to win a Cameron."
Wednesday will also be significant for Thompson as he has never won the Cameron Handicap.
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)