Caulfield Guineas horse racing betting shaken up by outsiderPosted on 21/09 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listStar colts Trusting and Manhattan Rain had a shock in the Guineas Prelude on Saturday when they were beaten by relative outsider Demerit.
Before the race much of the attention and betting had focused on the Jason Coyle and Gai Waterhouse-trained show stoppers, regarded as two of the most promising colts in the country.
But the Peter Snowden-trained colt stole the show and re-opened the debate on who will triumph in the Guineas proper on October 10.
Quoted by The Age, stable foreman Paul Snowden said: "There was no fluke in what he did today. He didn't have a lot of luck but was still too good for them.
''He'll only have one more run this campaign but I don't know whether that will be in the Guineas or something easier."
Demerit comes from strong breeding and has always been considered a contender, but has previously shown a need to mature, according to his stable.
Current odds for the Caulfield Guineas show Denman as the favourite, on 4.00, with Trusting still well in the running on the same odds with IASbet.
Manhattan Rain is at 10.00, while Demerit has shot to 13.00. So You Think is on 6.50, while other notables include Tollesprit on 15.00 and Onemorenomore on 18.00.
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)