Craven Plate warm-up booked for NZ Cox Plate contenderPosted on 23/09 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listThe 2008 Caulfield Cup runner-up has arrived in Australia to begin a bold quest for the Cox Plate.
New Zealander Nom Du Jeu has touched down in Sydney, according to NZPA, and is set to appear in the Craven Plate at Randwick next Saturday.
A good performance there would build on a first-up effort of second in a 1600m run at Pukekohe over the weekend.
Stayer Nom Du Jeu has already been ruled out of the Caulfield Cup and Melbourne Cup after injury held up his Spring campaign.
Quoted by NZPA, co-trainer Bjorn Bake said: "If he were to do something super, we might consider the Cox Plate.
"It's still early days for him this campaign, but we were happy with the run."
Nom Du Jeu is currently a 101.00 outsider in the betting for the Cox Plate at Centrebet.com.
Whobegotyou is still the favourite in online horse racing betting markets, on 4.00 with the same bookmaker, with Heart of Dreams, Maldivian and Predatory Pricer currently all tied on 8.00.
On Wednesday Whobegotyou's trainer Mark Kavanagh said it was possible the horse would also end up in the Melbourne Cup if he pulls off a successful Cox Plate run.
Before Kavanagh's comments in The Age, the horse remained an outside bet at 40.00-plus with many bookmakers, with few expecting an attempt at the double.
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)