Horse racing legend to ride one-time nemesisPosted on 02/08 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listA jockey is to take on Thursday’s Coffs Harbour VB Gold Cup on the same horse which once beat him to the post in same event.
Robert Thompson will be on Derivative Receipt after the gelding’s regular rider was ruled out through injury.
It gives Australia’s record-holding winner the chance to ride to victory on the horse which beat him into second in the 2007 version of the race.
Quoted by Racing and Sports, Thompson said: “The regular rider Geoffrey Snowdon had a track accident and broke his knee I think so he’s out of action for a little while.
“(Trainer Keith Hiscox) rang me up the other day and asked me would I like to ride him so that is how I got on him.”
Thompson was on Fair Trial for Bill Farrow when he came second in 2007 and has been installed at 6.0 for the win with Betfair on Wednesday, with Mossurmi the favourite at 2.5.
Elsewhere the Coffs Coast Advocate says the local favourite, Mr Gold Fire, also has a “big chance” according to trainer Jim Jarvis, and stood at 3.0 with Betfair on Wednesday.
If Thompson does taste victory on Derivative Receipt he will break something of a drought - the veteran last won the Coffs Harbour Cup in 1983.
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)