Chautauqua to race in Japan in Global Sprint Challenge bidPosted on 03/06 by Pom de Turf
Chautauqua to race in Japan in Global Sprint Challenge bid
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listRupert Legh, co-owner of world champion sprinter Chautauqua has revealed a trip to japan is "more likely than not" in the 2016/2017 season.
During discussions last night with the other owners John, Michael and Wayne Hawkes, Mr Legh revealed the likely target will be the $A2,692,690 Group 1 Sprinters Stakes (1200m) at Nakayama, Japan on Sunday, October 2.
Legh said this will fit in well with the spring plans, and is a valuable leg of the of the Global Sprint Challenge.
Chautauqua already has two legs under his belt - the Black Caviar Lightning (1000m) at Flemington and the Chairman’s Sprint Prize (1200m) at Sha Tin.
The Global Sprint Challenge carries a $US1 million bonus for a horse to win in a leg of the series in three different jurisdictions.
With the top priority for the owners being to win a third TJ Smith Stakes, Legh commented “Things like going to Hong Kong in December could delay his autumn campaign. Would it impact on the TJ? I think we may go to Japan"
Chautauqua became the first horse ever to win back to back TJ Smith Stakes winning both the 2015 and 2016 running of the Group 1 race.
Legh revealed he and the co-owners feel "privileged" to own Chautauqua, a winner of 5 Group 1's and prize money of $5.5 million to date.
See Chautauqua Form, Odds and Tips here
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the AFL finals
- 2017 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
BET NOW »$100 first bet racing refund *terms apply
- 4+ Multi Cash Back
- Protest Payout
- Horse Racing 10% Bet Boost
- First Multi Insurance up to $50
- *All offers subject to T&Cs - see Unibet for details*
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)