UK raider Big Orange eye's Melbourne CupPosted on 06/07 by Pom de Turf
Will the 2016 Melbourne Cup turn Orange?
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listTrainer Michael Bell has hinted at a second shot at the Melbourne Cup for Big Orange. A decision will be made after Big Orange has completed his UK summer schedule, but due to unsuitable ground, Big Orange has not had a lot of races this season.
The main UK target will be the Qatar Goodwood Cup at the end of July. Big Orange won this race in 2015 and will make a bid for back to back successes, a feat not accomplished since Double Trigger in 1997 and 1998.
Big Orange was due to take part in the Coral Marathon at the weekend at Sandown, however unfavorable ground put an end to that.
Michael Bell reported before Sandown: "It is the plan to go for the Qatar Goodwood Cup with Big Orange. We swerved going to the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot with him as the soft ground would not have been suitable for him there.
"All being well he will go next for a Listed race at Sandown Park on Eclipse day (the Coral Marathon).
"We wouldn't run him in both the Princess Of Wales's Stakes and the Qatar Goodwood Cup again this year. The only way I would really consider Newmarket was if he didn't go to Sandown for some reason.
"Big Orange has been in great form at home. It is just that the ground has not been suitable for him so far this season as he is a better horse on good ground. We will see how his summer campaign goes first, but it is possible that he could go to Australia again later this year."
Big Orange is currently a $41.00 with Sportsbet.com.au. This could be a big price should he go on to win the Qatar Goodwood Cup on the 28th July.
Read our latest Big Orange Odds and Form Guide
Watch Big Orange win at Goodwood
(Commentary in Arabic - Big Orange is from 1m 9 seconds onwards)
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
BET NOW »$100 first bet racing refund *terms apply
- 4+ Multi Cash Back
- Protest Payout
- Horse Racing 10% Bet Boost
- First Multi Insurance up to $50
- *All offers subject to T&Cs - see Unibet for details*
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)
- - January