Unlikely Melbourne Cup return for Big OrangePosted on 08/07 by Pom de Turf
Probably not at Melbourne this year
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listIt was another dominant display for Big Orange yesterday at Newmarket. Leading from start to finish, Big Orange set a stiff pace from the beginning and wound it up nicely at the end winning his second Princess of Wales's Stakes in relatively easily fashion.
The highly rated The Grey Gatsby was also in the race finishing second. He went off $3.75 favourite but was unable to reel Big Orange back in off an excellent display of front running from jockey James McDonald.
After the race trainer Michael Bell suggested another shot at the Melbourne Cup would be unlikely. It now looks like Big Orange will continue as he did in 2015 and move on to the Goodwood Cup where he will also be looking to complete back to back wins.
Bell was confident he could defend his Princess of Wales's Stakes title and the race panned out perfectly.
"He loves his racing and this track. I was pleased with how the race panned out with them in Indian file as it meant those behind had to make up more ground," Bell said, via Racing Post.
"He's the most charming horse to train and a joy to have around. He's been in very good form at home.
"We skipped the Gold Cup at Ascot because of the ground, this was second choice and we're very glad we did."
Read our latest Big Orange Odds and Form Guide
Watch Big Orange win
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)
- - June