Jockey reveals why he chose Metal BenderPosted on 15/08 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing list
A jockey has revealed why he chose youth over experience when he chose to ride Metal Bender instead of established name Racing to Win.
Both horses will go against each other for the first time in Saturday's group 2 1400m Warwick stakes at Randwick and Hugh Bowman explained why he went for the younger galloper.
Bowman told the Daily Telegraph: "I can only ride one horse and I elected to go with Metal Bender.
"He is a lightly raced four-year-old, he's already a dual group 1 winner and he raced very well against the older horses in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes last autumn. It is all in front of him."
Bowman had been on Racing to Win 12 times overall and won four races.
So far he has raced on Metal Bender only once but declared himself impressed with how the horse managed a second to Pompeii Ruler in the Queen Elizabeth stakes at Randwick in April.
The horse is already doing well in the online horse racing betting markets for the season's three headline events.
Metal Bender is commanding odds of 31.00 for the Melbourne Cup, 21.00 for the Cox Plate and stands at 15.00 second favourite for the Caulfield Cup, all with Cetrebet.
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)