Long Shorts in fashion again thanks to Donnelly's tacticsPosted on 25/08 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listA gelding once known for feet problems appears ready for a consistent run after smart work from his trainer.
Long Shorts is in the 1175m Commercial Club Albury Rating 67 Handicap at Albury on Friday having apparently tackled a troublesome soft foot issue.
AAP reports this is down to the work of Tim Donnelly, who says he has worked the five-year-old on bar plates to keep the pressure off his feet.
Long Shorts goes into Friday's race chasing back-to-back wins and has been in the placings in three of his last four races.
Quoted by AAP, Donnelly said: "He's never been perfect but he's been racing very consistently.
"While I'd prefer a drier surface tomorrow (track rated a heavy 9 on Thursday), he's got a nice alley and enough early speed to be there or take a sit. He's right in the race."
His competition tomorrow includes Enemigo, who has placings from the last two.
On Thursday the build-up to the Memsie Stakes at Caulfield gathered pace with the news Mic Mac had drawn barrier four for Saturday's race.
The four-year-old is now one of the favourites and could attract plenty of attention when a number of online horse racing betting markets open on Friday for the race.
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)