Memsie stakes to provide betting sub-plotPosted on 24/08 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listA group 2 race at Caulfield looks set to provide a gripping sub-plot to the main Golden Rose event on Saturday.
While most eyes will be on Rosehill for the $1 million group 1 event, the Memsie Stakes over in Melbourne could provide a clue as to the eventual winner of the Cox Plate later this season.
Racing and Sports points out the last four winners of the plate have competed in the Memsie on the way to the big one at Moonee Valley.
However, only one of those four horses actually won both the Memsie and the Cox Plate - Makybe Diva.
The Caulfield event now attracts widespread interest among punters as it has been won by a number of champion gallopers – most recently by the likes of El Segundo in 2006 and Weekend Hussler in 2008.
El Segundo could be in line for a second win on Saturday and is returning to weight-for-age conditions with a massive weight swing.
Trainer Colin Little told the Herald Sun: "He has won the Memsie before and I expect a very forward performance.
"He doesn't look any older; he is bouncing around the place and acting like a young horse."
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)