Metal Bender could attract big betting in Spring campaignPosted on 02/08 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listA much-touted stayer looks set for a blossoming spring horse racing campaign after registering an eye-catching barrier trial win on Tuesday.
Jockey Corey Brown gave Metal Bender a firm thumbs-up after riding him for friend and rival Hugh Bowman at Rosehill Gardens, The Daily Telegraph reports.
The horse is one of the most prominent entries for the big three of Melbourne Cup, Caulfield Cup and Cox Plate.
After Tuesday’s barrier trial win, Brown told the Telegraph: “I was only on Metal Bender in the trial as a favour for Hughie as he was interstate but, put it this way, I'd love to be riding the horse in races.
“Metal Bender went really well in his trial and he's set for a very good spring campaign.”
The performance came as international entries dropped for Spring’s three main events, with The Telegraph reporting the decline may be down to the world economic crisis.
According to the paper Melbourne Cup entries dropped overall by 65 from 295 to 230.
Caulfield Cup nominations also slipped from 282 to 227, but Cox Plate entries went up from 172 to 196.
The Melbourne Cup, the world’s richest handicap race, will appear on November 3 2009.
Profound Beauty is leading the early odds for the race with Betfair at 13.5.
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)