Phelan gets ready to revive Spring campaignPosted on 22/09 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listGolden Slipper winner Phelan Ready is set to be back on the track on Friday night after begin scratched from the Guineas Prelude at the weekend.
The Australian reports the horse was pulled from the Caulfield race after a vet examination at the barrier noted lameness.
Later there was no sign of a problem, and it remains a mystery to trainer Jason McLachlan, who will hope Phelan Ready can get his Caulfield Guineas campaign back on track in the 1200m Manikato Stakes on Friday.
Rain has been falling at Moonee Valley for some seven days and showers are set to continue through the week, raising the strong prospect of a soft track for the group 1 run.
Quoted by Sydney Morning Herald, McLachlan said of Phelan Ready: ''I have to get a run into him as we're running out of time to get him ready for the [Caulfield] Guineas.''
Phelan Ready is currently on 31.00 in the betting for the October 10 Caulfield Guineas, with Denman the favourite on 3.80 and Trusting second favourite on 4.00 with IASbet.
A number of other eye-catching runners are lining up to take on Friday's race, including the Greg Eurell-trained pair of Apache Cat and Mic Mac.
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)