Phelan Ready still up for the Guineas after Manikato StakesPosted on 28/09 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listOutsider Danleigh impressed with a quick finish to win the group 1 Manikato stakes and beat off a strong-looking Phelan Ready, who will still head to the Caulfield Guineas.
Friday night's race was run on a soft track at Moonee Valley, where Nicconi had been the favourite ahead of the off.
But Danleigh finished thanks to great timing from jockey Kerrin McEvoy, with Nicconi beaten into third behind Phelan Ready. Rising star Mic Mac ended up in fifth.
Phelan Ready is now on 15.00 for the Caulfield Guineas with IASbet, with the race appearing on Saturday week.
His second place finish and a strong showing by current Guineas favourite Denman did nothing to deter trainer Jason McLachlan.
Quoted by The Age, he said: "I know we've got things against us but we're going to press ahead to the Guineas with him.
''He's pulled up great from the other night and simply, I've got to go to the Guineas.''
Denman is on 3.60 with IASbet for the October 10 Guineas, while Trusting is just behind him on 4.40 and So You Think on 7.50.
Saturday's performance was a crucial one for Phelan Ready, who missed out on a run at Caulfield last week after a vet inspection ruled him out at the last minute, though he later appeared fine.
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)