Rothesay out of Caulfield Guineas bettingPosted on 14/09 by Pom de Turf
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listThe horse racing betting markets for next month's Caulfield Guineas will have to do without one of the country's most promising three-year-olds after Rothesay was earmarked for shorter distances by his trainer.
Racing and Sports reports Gerald Ryan opted to save him for feature 1200m runs later in the season following a debut win at Rosehill in late July and another strong showing at the weekend.
Current odds for the October 10 Caulfield Guineas see Denman out as the favourite on 4.00 with IASbet.
As of Tuesday with news just breaking of Rothesay's likely non-appearance, he was on odds of 17.00 joint fifth favourite for the Guineas with the same bookmaker.
On Saturday jockey Corey Brown had suggested the distance could have suited the colt.
"He looks like a sprinter but I think he wants a bit of ground, he’s more of a Caulfield Guineas horse for sure," Brown had said on the Coolmore website.
However, Ryan had appeared more cautious when it came to the Guineas, saying at the weekend: "We’ll let the horse tell us which is the best race."
It now appears Rothesay has indicated the shorter distance could be more his scene.
The unbeaten colt missed out on an attempt at the Golden Rose last month due to a training setback but both Brown and Ryan have said the best is yet to come from the horse.
Latest Horse Racing news
- Winx has two to beat in the Caulfield Stakes
- Favourite Foxplay looks good in warm up for 1000 Guineas
- Pakistan Star Last to First Again
- Jameka 2nd favourite despite winning penalty
- Wicklow Brave Melbourne Cup odds slashed after Curragh win
- Palentino Form Odds and Tips
- Palentino upsets Black Heart Bart on route to Cox Plate
- Tosen Stardom to take on Winx before the Cox Plate
All news archives (all sports)