2016 AFL NAB Rising Star Odds and Betting tipsPosted on 01/09 by Myles Kelly
Latest odds to win the 2016 NAB Rising Star
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing listCallum Mills won the 2016 Rising Star in emphatic fashion.
Who will be the Rising Star in 2017?
Don't miss our 2017 Rising Star betting tips
2016 NAB Rising Star Odds
Who will win the 2016 NAB AFL Rising Star?
Don't forget, betting closes early on the NAB Rising Star - so place your bets now before the market closes!
1. Open a new betting account at Sportsbet.com.au on your computer, mobile or tablet device and you can place a bet on the Rising Star or any AFL market and get a free matched bet
2. Deposit money and place your first bet (any amount from $1 right up to $501 qualifies for a free matched bet to the equivalent amount of your first bet)
3. Get your instant free bet of up to $501* to place on any AFL, sports or racing bet.
Click on the odds below to start betting now with Sportsbet.com.au on your PC, Mobile or Tablet. *Terms apply
Odds updated after AFL Round 23
|Callum Mills (Sydney)|
|Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs)|
|Darcy Parish (Essendon)|
|Christian Petracca (Melbourne)|
|Jacob Weitering (Carlton)|
|Conor Blakely (Fremantle)|
|All other players|
Here are our Top 5 Rising Star value bets for 2016... (Chosen before start of Round 1)
1. Christian Petracca - MELBOURNE - latest odds:
Where to begin? The guy measures 94kg (gained 8kg since his TAC year), 186cm, is 19yrs old and hasn’t played a game yet. Struck down with an ACL tear and missed his debut season there was electrifying excitement to see him compete for the ball in a team that could barely maintain possession.
Going off his TAC/Under 18 Carnival stats is all we can do here – Petracca can kick goals (Averaged 2.5 per game) and can take a contested mark (Ave 2.2 per game). He seems to be the strong bodied, goal kicking Midfielder (ie another Nathan Jones) Melbourne desperately need.
Not much Rising Star competition (at this stage anyway) in the 2016 AFL Season and a justified favourite.
2. Jacob Weitering - CARLTON - latest odds:
I’ve heard him likened to Harry Taylor and Luke McPharlin (what an honour). 195cm, 92kg Defender (part-time HB Flanker) will get LOADS of opportunity to hone his defensive skillset in a team that will lose many games in 2016.
A very good kick (had kick-in duties at Dandenong, and averaged 120 SC points per game) and an elite decision maker, Weitering should fit into the AFL Competition as he looks to begin his journey into becoming one of the best Defenders in the AFL.
WILL PLAY Rd 1 barring injury.
3. Caleb Daniel – WESTERN BULLDOGS - latest odds:
Look hard into Caleb for your Rising Star Medal. The kid is 69kg wet, under 170cm but averaged 13 disposals at an ELITE 74% efficiency mostly playing as the Bulldogs SUB! Averaged 4 score involvements in each of these games and also kicked 6 goals in his first season.
These stats are quite incredible and if we look back to his u18 Champion hip he operated at a 92% efficiency off 20 disposals and scored a 16.1 in the Beep Tests (elite).
If Daniel can start most games then he’s in with a real chance (and you can’t miss him with his trademark, Shaun Hart inspired black leather headgear)!
4. Lachie Weller - FREMANTLE - latest odds:
Mostly an outside player, Weller was the #13 pick in the 2014 AFL Draft. We’ve seen what his brother Maverick (St Kilda) can do and the tip is Lachie is a cleaner player.
Has 80% efficiency off an average of 10 disposals in his handful of games last year (playing mostly as the SUB), 2 tackles per game and has the ‘heart throb good looks’ to match.
Weller has speed (which is what Fremantle need) and despite the Dockers having a settled Senior list we do foresee, as written in our 2016 AFL Ladder Predictions 1-2 positions being available in the forward flank/wing position.
If he can cement one of these with a strong pre-season he’s a good chance at long odds.
5. Darcy Moore - COLLINGWOOD - latest odds:
Darcy Moore WILL BE one of the Premier AFL Full-Forwards in the future, period. Enormously athletic, he reminds me of Josh Kennedy from West Coast. Played 9 games and averaged 1 goal per game, Moore isn’t afraid to go up and ‘get it’, with over half of his possessions in the 2015 AFL Season being contested.
I predict some shootout showdowns between him and Jesse Hogan (Melbourne) in the future, and as Collingwood have a few other ‘Tall’s’ on their list he should be able to win against his opponent quite consistently. If Collingwood can get it to the front 50m regularly enough for him then we could be looking at another Forward taking out the AFL Rising Star Medal in the 2016 AFL Season.
List of recent NAB Rising Star Winners:
2001 Justin Koschitzke, St Kilda
2002 Nick Riewoldt, St Kilda
2003 Sam Mitchell, Hawthorn
2004 Jared Rivers, Melbourne
2005 Brett Deledio, Richmond
2006 Danyle Pearce, Port Adelaide
2007 Joel Selwood, Geelong
2008 Rhys Palmer, Fremantle
2009 Daniel Rich, Brisbane Lions
2010 Daniel Hannebery, Sydney
2011 Dyson Heppell, Essendon
2012 Daniel Talia, Adelaide
2013 Jaeger O'Meara Gold Coast
2014 Lewis Taylor Brisbane
2015 Jesse Hogan Melbourne
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
BET NOW »$100 first bet racing refund *terms apply
- 4+ Multi Cash Back
- Protest Payout
- Horse Racing 10% Bet Boost
- First Multi Insurance up to $50
- *All offers subject to T&Cs - see Unibet for details*
Latest Aussie Rules news
- 2018 AFL ladder predictor, team previews and AFL Premiership futures tips and best bets
- AFL Round 1 odds, betting and tips
- 2017 AFL Grand Final odds and betting tips - Adelaide v Richmond
- 2017 AFL Preliminary Finals odds and betting tips
- AFL Expert Betting Odds Guide
- AFL Semi Finals odds and betting tips
- Geelong v Richmond betting tips
- AFL Finals Week 1 - odds and betting tips
All news archives (all sports)
- - January