2017 AFL NAB Rising Star Odds and Betting tipsPosted on 22/08 by Myles Kelly
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing list2017 NAB Rising Star Odds
Who will win the 2017 NAB AFL Rising Star?
1. Open a new betting account at Sportsbet.com.au on your computer, mobile or tablet device and you can place a bet on the Rising Star or any AFL market and get a free matched bet
2. Deposit money and place your first bet (any amount from $1 right up to $501 qualifies for a free matched bet to the equivalent amount of your first bet)
3. Get your instant free bet of up to $501* to place on any AFL, sports or racing bet.
Click on the odds below to start betting now with Sportsbet.com.au on your PC, Mobile or Tablet. *Terms apply
|Ryan Burton (Haw)|
|Andrew McGrath (Ess)|
|Sam Powell-Pepper (Port)|
|Charlie Curnow (Carl)|
|Alex Witherden (Bris)|
|Sam Petrevski-Seton (Carl)|
|All other players|
1. Hugh McCluggage - BRISBANE -
Quite remarkable this touted player fell to pick 3. Averaged 29 touches in the TAC Cup and kicked 25.8 – an absolute dead-eye midfielder.
This shows he has the polish and any goal kicking mid stands out to voters.
Will have his work cut out for him in a fairly average Lions midfield, though with tags likely going to Zorko/Rockliff this should prove opportune for Hugh to get a good feel of the ball in 2017.
Will miss the first 2-3 rounds with an injury but that won't affect a winning chance.
2. Andrew McGrath - ESSENDON -
The #1 draft pick for 2016. McGrath is versatile, powerful and has an ability to play from round 1.
When choosing a Rising Star the prospect really needs to be in the selection mix from the start of the season, and McGrath was drafted to play immediately.
He has the ability to attack and defend, which may come against him if the Bombers move him around – as typically the rising star needs to win a lot of ball, typically. Hopefully his average of 32 touches per game carries through at AFL level which would leave him a surety for the Medal.
3. Sam Petrevski-Seton – CARLTON -
Was playing WAFL level footy at 16yrs, and averaged 23 disposals in 2016. Silky with elite agility, Sam has been likened to Shaun Burgoyne.
His enormous work-rate and tackling pressure however is not matched with an ability to score, which could go against him this year. At Carlton however there will be many opportunities to run through the middle and find his feet in the AFL.
4. Jack Bowes – GOLD COAST -
Nicknamed the ‘Rolls Royce’ of the 2016 draft crop, Bowes is known for his sharp skills, composure and decision making. ALL of these are much needed at the Gold Coast.
He played 7 games for the NEAFL team, so has more experience than most draftees playing against senior players and averaged 18.7 touches and 1 goal per game. He had a career high 31 touches with 8 clearances and 8 inside 50’s in their elimination final.
Look hard at Jack if he’s named in the round 1 team.
5. Harry Perryman - GWS -
Had an outstanding u18 championship, picking 20 touches, 10 of which were contested. This led to GWS taking him at pick #14, despite the ballwinners they already have on their list.
The Giants see something in him, and we should too.
Should he play early in the season, he will have free run in the start studded lineup, though he has to make his case through pre-season first. Can find the goals also.
|Hugh McCluggage to win Rising Star at $14.00||$501 Bonus Bet*|
List of recent NAB Rising Star Winners:
2001 Justin Koschitzke, St Kilda
2002 Nick Riewoldt, St Kilda
2003 Sam Mitchell, Hawthorn
2004 Jared Rivers, Melbourne
2005 Brett Deledio, Richmond
2006 Danyle Pearce, Port Adelaide
2007 Joel Selwood, Geelong
2008 Rhys Palmer, Fremantle
2009 Daniel Rich, Brisbane Lions
2010 Daniel Hannebery, Sydney
2011 Dyson Heppell, Essendon
2012 Daniel Talia, Adelaide
2013 Jaeger O'Meara Gold Coast
2014 Lewis Taylor Brisbane
2015 Jesse Hogan Melbourne
2016 Callum Mills Sydney
BET NOW »$501 Deposit Bonus (terms apply)
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
BET NOW »$100 first bet racing refund *terms apply
- 4+ Multi Cash Back
- Protest Payout
- Horse Racing 10% Bet Boost
- First Multi Insurance up to $50
- *All offers subject to T&Cs - see Unibet for details*
Latest Aussie Rules news
- 2018 AFL ladder predictor, team previews and AFL Premiership futures tips and best bets
- AFL Round 1 odds, betting and tips
- 2017 AFL Grand Final odds and betting tips - Adelaide v Richmond
- 2017 AFL Preliminary Finals odds and betting tips
- AFL Expert Betting Odds Guide
- AFL Semi Finals odds and betting tips
- Geelong v Richmond betting tips
- AFL Finals Week 1 - odds and betting tips
All news archives (all sports)
- - January