England will – possibly – host the World Cup, but can’t win it next yearNovember 28th, 2009 by admin
Englan’s national side have grand hopes of lifting the World Cup next
year- but officials are busy battling to secure the country the hosting
of the tournament in 2018. Of late they have even had to rely on foreign
Arsene Wenger, who is French, has revealed that he would be happy to be
an ambassador for the English bid to be the country to host the World
Cup, and he thinks it is unfair that Germany has hosted it twice.
At his Friday press conference, Wenger told the press corps: “I am a big
supporter of the England bid for the World Cup in 2018. If I can help
them, I would be very happy.”
This is all well and good, but Wenger then went on to talk about how
England gave the game of football to the world, and it is for this
reason that the country should be allowed to hold the World Cup. He even
said that it is not ‘normal’ for a country that gave this sport to be
denied hosting the Cup.
However, I think he is forgetting one thing. England may have given the
sport to the world, but, and if you will forgive my expression here, the
rest of the world have picked up the ball and ran with it.
England has had some decent shots at glory in the last ten years, but
every time they have somehow managed to fudge it. And while the country
– as Arsene Wenger quite rightly pointed out – may have ‘the
infrastructure, the stadiums, the passion’ to manage a world class
tournament, it still won’t win it.
As such on the field the side are also deceptive – their odds of 8.40
third favourites for next year’s tournament are odd, given that the
Netherlands qualified in similarly impressive style but are out at 17.00.
In my opinion, England are yet to prove that they are part of the world
stage and can justify hosting it. Causing such a fuss over whether or
not they can host it is rather like crying because the bigger, stronger
boys aren’t coming round to your house to play.
« Blog Home
- Sportsbet will match your first bet up to the value of $501
- The home of money back specials
- Free Footy Tipping - $20K every Round
- Join Betezy and use promo code 500OFFER
- Or use code CREDITOFFER for up to $5k Credit
- Lay Betting options available
- Join Sportingbet now deposit funds: Minimum $30
- Weekly special offers and bonuses
- Best horse race betting site and app!
- Join Luxbet now its takes 2 minutes!
- $750 deposit bonus limited offer
- $100 bonuses offer every Saturday
- Ladbrokes will match your first deposit up $250
- Refund specials and Pick Your Own Odds
- Exclusive Ladbrokes ATM card now!
- Centrebet will match your first bet up to $200
- Money back specials every week
- “Fire Up” the new Centrebet App
- Sign up using promo code 200FREEBET
- Unique Pick Your Own Odds feature
- Great promotions and offers daily
- Latest online betting for World Cup 2010
- Anzac Day Medal odds and betting: Collingwood v Essendon odds. AFL Round 5, 2012.
- - December