France could struggle in 2010 World Cup according to the latest oddsPosted on 16/03 by T J Dilfer
Weekly Expert Betting Tips - Join our free mailing list
France take on Uruguay in the World Cup opening match and will be desperate for an opening victory. The qualifying play off fiasco in Paris against the Republic was well publicized and typical of the French team's struggle to get to South Africa. France came second in their group, but their confidence had been hit with defeats and less than convincing victories. And ultimately, a hollow victory over Ireland in the play offs.
This will be the thirteenth World Cup appearance for France, who were one of the original teams in the first World Cup tournament in 1930. In fact the first ever World Cup goal was scored by a Frenchman, Lucien Laurent, in their 4-1 defeat of Mexico.
Raymond Domench has been manager of the national side since 2004. It was Domench that persuaded Makelei, Thurman and Zinedine Zidane to come out of retirement and push France to the 2006 World Cup Final where they were defeated by Italy in a 5-3 penalty shoot-out.
Substitute captain Thierry Henry, 51 goals in 117 appearances, soiled his reputation with the handball incidents in Paris and is no longer a youngster. The same could be said for most of the side. Defensively William Gallas (Arsenal) and Patrice Evra (Man. Utd.) are approaching the latter stages of their international careers.
The French team often relies on Bayern Munich’s Franck Ribery, 81.0 with Bet365.com to be top scorer, and Chelsea’s Nicolas Anelka whom Sportsbet quote at 41.00 for the Golden Boot award.
Group A consists of Uruguay, Mexico and the hosts South Africa. The French are 2.10 with Centrebet to win this group whilst IASbet have them at 3/1 not to progress beyond the group stage. Sportsbet are more hopeful and anticipate elimination at the semi-final stage with odds of 7.00.
France can be backed at a top price of 19.00 with bet365.com in the latest World Cup Betting Odds.
- Bet on the Socceroos manager
- 2018 Brownlow Medal odds
- Get a free Sportsbet ATM card
- AFL multi bet specials
- 4+ Multi Cash Back
- Protest Payout
- Horse Racing 10% Bet Boost
- First Multi Insurance up to $50
- *All offers subject to T&Cs - see Unibet for details*
- England World Cup Betting Odds
- Assessing Brazil's betting odds for 2010 World Cup
- South Africa are 81.00 shots in the World Cup betting odds
- Germany look a good bet at the World Cup odds
- France could struggle in 2010 World Cup according to the latest odds
- Holland in focus: 2010 World Cup Betting Odds
- Australia should be wary of World Cup Group D betting rivals, Ghana
- Top Goal Scorer betting odds - Australia - world cup 2010
- - January